98 Years of Care: 1920 – 2018

Brief History

Brief History

 

Many children were orphaned after the flu epidemic in 1918.   A local Minister from the Dutch Reformed Church, Moorreesburg – Rev. Van Heerde – heard the cries of those in need.  Rev. Van Heerde took the initiave and with the help of other Congregations, the Children’s Home was built and opened.  The State provided a subsidy.

 

In 1970 the official Governing of the Children’s Home was taken over by the so-called “Sinodale Kommissie vir Diens van Barmhartigheid Wes- en Suidkaap” (A Commission of the Dutch Reformed Church in the Western and Southern Cape Province).

 

In 1988, the original building of the Children’s Home was replaced with new buildings, which were more suitable for the needs of the children.

 

Today, the Children’s Home is registered as a “Child and Youth Care Centre;” however most people refer to it as a “Children’s Home.” Huis van Heerde is a Programme of Badisa, which is a Non-Profit Organisation managed jointly by the Dutch Reformed Church (“N.G. Kerk”) of the Western and Southern Cape and the Uniting Reformed Church of South Africa (URCSA or known in Afrikaans as the “Verenigende Gereformeerde Kerk”).  Huis van Heerde Child and Youth Care Centre accommodates children without any discrimation against race, background, religion, etc.  The sustainability of Huis van Heerde CYCC is dependent on the provision of a State subsidy and the donations received from the community.  Huis van Heerde CYCC accommodates up to 70 children.